Wednesday, June 1, 2011


We decided to go camping with some friends this weekend. This was a monumental step for me. I (we) haven't been camping since 2007, the summer before I got sick. It's hard for me to get up off the floor so sleeping on the ground in a tent was a bit worrisome for me. It's also hard for me to maintain my balance, so putting a tent up and taking down a tent isn't something that I can do anymore either.

We kinda decided at the last minute to stay overnight so we spent Friday afternoon going to the store and getting stuff together. Julie had to stop on the way home and hit the store and when we both got home, everything got packed. Chance had a friend of his, Devin, go out with us and they took care of the heavy stuff. After all of the running around that we had done that day, my legs and feet were hurting so bad I could hardly stand. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to do a lot. We finally got on the road at about 8:30pm.

By the time we got to the lake it was almost dark and I was in a lot of pain. Chance and Devin took over the unloading of the truck and putting up the tents. They really went above and beyond. We wouldn't have been able to go if it hadn't been for them. By the time everything got taken care of and dinner finished, we had very little time to visit with our friends. We were all exhausted.

We got up the next morning. I slept okay. Julie slept like a baby; Up every two hours having to pee. Both of our backs were hurting and I was still in a lot of pain. I had gotten a nerve block about 3-4 weeks ago to help with the pain in my right foot and I don't know if it is starting to wear off or if it was that I was so active on Friday but I was still hurting. It was pretty hard to walk.

Saturday was cool and cloudy. It was supposed to get up to about 85 but it didn't even break 70. We spent most of the day hanging  around with our friends and the girls played until they couldn't play anymore. We ate some dinner and and after a lot of laughing and fun decided to get to bed. We were both exhausted.

We had to do some arranging in the tent and in the midst, knocked over my jug of water, which in turn of course got our blanket wet. On top of that the people camping next to us decided to get into a huge argument. Nothing like a little domestic violence to end the day.

We got up Sunday morning and it was looking to be a hot, windy day. We were both sore and tired, I still wasn't walking real well, so we decided to get everything packed and head home. I was still feeling the affects from Friday. I tried to do what I could but it was again up to Chance and Devin to get everything packed up.

We go home safely, got everything unloaded and took a nap. After getting up long enough to feed the kids and eat a little bit of dinner we went back to bed and collapsed.

I spent most of Monday in bed trying to get the swelling out of my feet and legs.

It was fun getting out with the kids and our friends but I felt pretty useless. I was really hoping to be able to do more than I was able to. Next time, I won't run so much the day we leave.


  1. next time we're camping with a camper.

  2. Brings back memories of camping!

  3. Yeah, I think a camper is definately in order.